Saturday 5 February 2011

February virtual paintout


This is an oil sketch 10x7 for the February virtual paintout. I was attempting to simplify a complex scene. I used a limited palette of White, Cobalt Blue, Chrome Orange, Cobalt Violet and Yellow Ochre.

















This is the link to the google street view.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&source=embed&ll=44.42952,26.096456&spn=0,0.008014&z=17&layer=c&cbll=44.429769,26.096626&panoid=VfKZjg2bAdneLQHnIncehw&cbp=12,50.64,,0,-6.73

7 comments:

  1. Andrew, this is an amazing painting! So well done with your limited palette! I'd like to see this one on a large canvas - it is a real statement piece. Now I want to see more of your work!
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice composition. Love the muted palette with bright spots of white and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really nice!! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such an interesting choice of colors for a limited palette - but you made them work. nicely painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding work in this. Love the limited palette & the blue truck. Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your comments, they are very encouraging.
    I have been experimenting with limited palettes and generally pleased with the way they come out. The lack of red was a bit of a problem in this painting, a couple of things needed it but to have put them in would have made them too glaring.
    I am new to blogging and surprised by the response, I only really posted so that I could provide the google maps URL, if anyone was interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful "sketch", it looks very impressionistic, and really nice composition. Good depth, etc. You encourage me to do more limited palette work! I did one or two of the Virtual Paint Out challenges and they were abysmal. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Do you have a website link?

    ReplyDelete